Image Map

Monday 11 August 2014

TRAVEL | ILFRACOMBE, DEVON

I love to travel. I love to see new places, experience new and interesting cultures, treat my eyes to the beauty that is planet earth. But to me travel isn't just about hopping on a plane and jetting off to exotic, foreign lands. It's about exploring your own back garden, jumping on a train/coach/in the family car, and heading off to learn more about the country you call home. On the 26th July that's just what I did. Accompanied by my mom, dad and best friend, I spent the week soaking up the English sun in the stunning north of Devon.

The first place we ventured to was the seaside town of Ilfracombe, an absolutely beautiful little town with a sweet little harbour, surrounded by cliffs and sea. This little place is steeped in history having been around since the Iron Age, being the town the late great Peter Sellers made his very first stage appearance, a brief home for the evacuated Joan and Jackie Collins and now for the artist Damien Hirst. It's history, it's cute little buildings, beautiful views of the harbour, beach and cliffs all make this town a very worthwhile place to pay a visit to if you are ever in this part of the country.





If you do find yourself in Ilfracombe and are looking for somewhere to grab a spot of lunch, I'd definitely suggest heading down to the harbour and popping in the The Smugglers, a beautifully decorated, cosy cafe where you can grab a very tasty light bite.

my mom and dad inside The Smugglers



2 comments:

  1. I went to Devon for the first time this year, we went to Plymouth for the day and then spent the next day at Dartmoor, it was so so beautiful and I can't wait to go again to see more!

    ~ K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you had a nice time K! Plymouth is so lovely! The whole of Devon is really, it's a very beautiful county. I've got a few more Devon posts coming up soon so maybe they will give you a few ideas as to where about in Devon you should go :) x

      Delete

Hi guys :) thank you for commenting, I love reading them and reply to all comments! x